Monday, January 13, 2014

Citrus heritage half marathon aka the birthday race

Soooo here is something for you... 
Running 13.1 miles is not easy.
It is highly recommanded to actually TRAIN before running a half marathon.
Some rock star can "swig it"
Not this old gal over here.

Oh boy this one quicked my 45 yrs old butt.
I knew it would be hard.
I knew the course was hilly because I ran the 10k last year and it was full of hills.  I also knew I was not prepared for 13.1 miles.   In all honesty it was pretty stupid of me to do this but how could I pass this? 
Half marathon #25 and on my birthday.

This was an inaugural race and very close to home.
Beautiful part of Riverside where the orange groves are.
This race offered race day packet pick up and I love love that.
The start was rather late at 8 am..sun was out early but it was not warm so it was ok.

I met with my good friend Sandy (boston bound brunette sorry don't know how to link using the blogger app) and also Megan (Run Megan) and her friend Suzanne before the start.  Sandy bought me a pink sash for my birthday!  A FABULOUS sash! I thought OK lets put this on for a quick picture but she had other plans...she came prepared with safety pins and next thing I know this thing was pinned for the race!




Soon after that it was starting time!
I lined up towards the back...super speedy Sandy dissapeered and left the dust behind...I started with Megan and her friend but it was not long before I lost them as well.  I needed to take walking break more often because the lack of training was worrying me and I did not want to get injured again.



This course is beautiful and full of surprises....hills, trail...mud...orange groves, hills, roses, palm trees, wild animals, did I say hills.... This course is no joke.


Wearing that sash ended up really fun.  I had so many people wishing me happy birthday..one guy even sang to me..it was great.  There was this one guy who said it maybe 15 times...every time he would pass me..."happy birthday!"
I got a lot of nice compliments also...I guess people get delirious with the hard effort because I got a lot of "you don't look 45!" Love all of these crazy people!! My new BFFs!!

Here is mile 3 where I let go of my gloves and phone.  Did not want to have the distraction this time.



I had to walk a lot once again...at least half of it for sure.
Better than than nothing at all is what I kept telling myself.
I tried to not worry too much about my poor performance and just enjoy the views and the people around me.
The hills...some were hard and I could feel the sharp pinch I my knee when I would start running.
Had to stop twice for bathroom and at least 5 times to stretch..hip and calf.

Here mile 7 I think (pics taken by Sandy's husband..thank you)




The support on the course was great...lots of volunteers and everyone was so nice! Course was also well marked.


Mile 9 
I wanted to quit here.
I told Bill "I want to quit!"
He said the best thing he could have said "see you at the FINISH line!"

Got a hug from the kids



And I did not quit.
I am glad I did not.

Last few miles were hard but I talked to a very nice woman and that helped a lot.
The course finishes UPHILL.  That is hard people.
I caught up to that woman in front of me in the end





And I was so done.....I almost passed out at then end....felt so dizzy for a minute..Bill caught me right in time...



The medal is awesome, I love it...super shiny!


Kids were pretty impressed to see the Batmobile parked near the finish line 


So that is it for this one...my time is terrible of course.
I am resting a few days because I am hurting a lot and then I go back to real training with my brand new Garmin!


This was my birthday gift! 
Cannot wait to use it!

Next up is a 5k with my kids so no real racing for that one, running more outside and increasing the mileage.


























9 comments:

bobbie said...

Great way to hang in there! Even thought its hard not to "beat" ourselves up, we can't win 'em all! Awesome Medal!! Happy Birthday:)!

Teamarcia said...

Way to push through Birthday girl! I am coveting your new Garmin. So pretty!

Jim ... 50after40 said...

I always forget we're almost exactly the same age (I turned 45 on 12/16) Great job YOUNG lady!

Linda W. said...

What better way to celebrate your big B-day than to run a half marathon? Good for you for getting out there and finishing! You are a very young-looking 45-year old. And by the way, I turned 50 last year, and ran my fastest half marathon ever this fall - so don't give up hope. Your best days are ahead of you! :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing!! I hope you recover well ;-)

Unknown said...

Woot woot, birthday race! Way to tough it out lady! I hope you had a GREAT rest of your birthday - it was great running with you even if for a little while!

See you soon I hope!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

Looks like a great way to celebrate your birthday. I love the sash, how fun!

Terzah said...

I'm glad you had the sash and the sign--that made it fun! So except for the dizziness it sounds like what a birthday run should be. Enjoy that swanky new Garmin, too!

The Unexpected Runner said...

Sounds like a perfect way to celebrate your birthday! What fun!!! Bonne Fete, Mon Ami :)